Scores of new paints and equipment placed on the market in the last few years make it possible for the weekend handyman to paint his own house almost as easily as a professional. From one-coat paints to disposable blowtorches, everything has been designed to make the job go faster, look better and cost less.
With the new outside rollers, you can paint an average-size house in a couple of days. Add an extension handle and you can roll a terrace without stooping down, reach a roof without leaving the ground. You can also buy abstract canvas wall art for your living room.
Painting Hard Spots
Specialized aids with built-in know, how tackle the hard spots for you.
Better still, you don’t have to spend hours getting ready and hours cleaning up afterward. Premixed paints, electric-drill attachments and self-dispensing calking guns make short work of preparation. Cleaning up is a soap-and-water job for the rubber paints, or a quick dip in special cleaners for the oils. Disposable dropcloths and paper paint pails are used once and thrown away.
In this section are some tips on techniques and tools that make it easier to paint your house than ever before – not the way the “pro” does, perhaps, but with much the same results.
The term paint is used to include paints, varnishes, enamels, shellacs, lacquers, and stains.
- Paints are composed of mineral pigments, organic vehicles, and a variety of thinners all combined.
- Varnishes are resins dissolved in organic thinners.
- Enamels are pigmented varnishes.
- Shellac is lac gum dissolved in alcohol.
- Lacquers may be both pigmented or clear – the liquid portion usually is treated nitrocellulose dissolve in thinners.
- Stains may be pigmented oil or a penetrating type.
Many of these materials, such as paints, varnishes, and lacquers, are formulated for specific purposes:
- Outside house paints and exterior varnishes are intended to give good service when exposed to weathering
- Interior wall paints are formulated to give excellent coverage and good wash-ability.
- Floor enamels are made to withstand abrasion.
- Lacquers are formulated for rapid drying.
- There are also formulas which provide extra self-cleaning, fume- resisting, waterproofing, hardening, flexibility, mildew-resisting, resistance to fading, and breathing qualities.
Interior paints are used to obtain pleasing decorative effects, improve sanitary conditions, and insure better lighting. These paints may be divided into four types: wall primers; one-coat flats; flat, semigloss, and gloss; and water paints.